Big Berkey water filter is the most popular model in the Berkey line of products. This is one of the bigger sized Berkeys, which is rated for 1 to 4 people households. Though called the Big Berkey, this is not the largest model of the brand. This unit is perfect for both home use and water purifying in harsh environments. In the Big Berkey water filter review below you can learn more about the features this system offers, as well as its benefits and drawbacks.
What Does Big Berkey Remove?
The Big Berkey comes with 2 Black Berkey filters that are the powerful purification elements. These two units are installed in the upper chamber of the Big Berkey. They feature micro pores that block the water pollutants. The filter also include special media that uses a phenomenon called absorption, which works by attracting the molecules that are smaller than the micro pores to the media.
The Black Berkey filtration capabilities exceed purification standards and the system can remove the following.
- This advanced system provides purification of the water, removing cysts, pathogen bacteria, and parasites.
- Up to 99.9999 percent of viruses.
- Inorganic minerals to below lab detectable level.
- Volatile organic compounds to below lab detectable level.
- Heavy metals (including mercury and lead).
- Also reduces nitrates, rust, arsenic, sediment, silt, foul taste and odors.
- Additionally, this Big Berkey model includes 2 fluoride filters.
The size of the Big Berkey makes it ideal for small to medium sized families. The reservoir features a 2.5 gallon capacity and the filter has the ability to filter up to 3.5 gallons of water per hour.
Optionally, you can additionally purchase another 2 Black Berkey filters to increase the flow rate of purified water. With 4 Black Berkey filters installed, the system will produce up to 7 gallons of pure water per hour. The overall capacity of the filters is 6000 gallons.
When fully assembled, the unit stands 19.25 inches in height. However, when not in use you can nestle the top chamber into the bottom. So the unit becomes really compact and stands only 13 inches in height, making it easy to transport or putting it away for storage.
Ease of Use
This filter works without any installation to your water supply line. It’s a standalone filtration unit. To get clean, pure water, you just need to fill the upper chamber with water and wait as water passes through into the lower chamber, at the same time becoming pure and free of contaminants. At the bottom of the unit there’s a spigot. Getting fresh drinking water from the Big Berkey is as simple as turning a tap.
The body of the unit is made of stainless steel provides maximum durability and easy cleaning. The solid design makes it suitable for use both indoors and outdoors.
- 2.25 gallons holding capacity.
- 3.5 gallons per hour flow rate.
- Made of high grade stainless steel.
- 2 Black Berkey filters.
- 2 fluoride filters.
- Easy flow spigot.
- 3,000 gallons filter life.
- 8.5 x 19.2 inches.
- Comes with assembly and maintenance instructions.
- Effective filtration of any type of water (city water, well water, river, stream, etc.)
- Runs without power. So it is perfect for emergency situations or power outages. The water filter will ensure that you have clean drinking water as long as you will have some access to any kind of water source.
- Portability. You can the filter along with you on travels or camping trips. The system requires no installation and for convenient portability the filter nestles into itself.
- Price. Considering the effectiveness and long filter life, in the long run this system will help you to save money.
- Fluoride removal.
- Low maintenance.
The Bottom Line
Big Berkey might seem a bit more expensive that you would expect, but if you consider its filtration capabilities, it’s worth the investment. It’s durable, suitable for both indoor and outdoor use, can treat almost any water and provide you with clean drinking water. User Big Berkey reviews have mostly praise for the performance and filtration results of this system. To read them you can jump through one of the Amazon links. I hope that this Big Berkey water filter review was helpful for you.